Location: Gatesville, TX
Job ID: 44811
Join a team with values that match your own and make a difference in the lives of people needing second chances.
Management & Training Corporation is seeking a dynamic leader in the substance abuse treatment field looking to provide individuals on the inside with hope, skills and opportunities for a better life.
Position title: Counselor III
Facility name: Christina Melton Crain Unit
Location: 1401 State School Rd, Gatesville, TX 75699
Rate of pay: Starting at $1,019.23 per week (equivalent to $53,000 per year)
Work schedule: Full-time
Benefit package includes:
- Health/dental/vision/life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays (9 total)
- Professional development assistance
- Opportunities for career growth
Job responsibilities: The Counselor III is responsible for providing counseling services to offenders and implementing complex treatment and discharge plans for offenders with dual diagnosis, social or mental health issues. She/he serves as a professional resource to other counselors in resolving complex case problems, and provides clinical supervision and guidance. He/she provides mental health services to offenders in compliance with Management &Training Corporation (MTC), and Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) directives
- Knowledge of alcoholism, chemical dependency, addiction, co-dependency, and related disorders.
- Design, implement complex programs treatment and discharge plans for offenders with dual diagnosis, social or mental health issues; conducts intensive or comprehensive interventions.
- Provides counseling and recovery skills training; participates in offender orientation, educational and individual and process counseling groups in compliance with program standards, guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Maintain a Therapeutic Community (TC) within the facility working closely with correctional staff to create a living environment that is peer driven.
- Collaborates with supervisor or other psychiatric, social work, or medical professionals on specific case related issues to maintain continuity of care, and to aid in achieving therapeutic and restorative goals for offenders through individual and group counseling.
- Conduct diagnosis and evaluation tests for offenders to determine needs, establish goals and develop plans; make referrals to contract professionals for assessment and treatment of offenders.
- Prepare progress reports; provide recommendations regarding discharge plans; make case presentations; and assist program supervisor and treatment team.
- Maintain and monitor confidentiality of offenders and their files; audit files to determine that all services provided are documented; review status of offenders to determine that all treatment and therapeutic programs are completed.
- Attend scheduled staff meetings; promote communication and the proper flow of relevant information between administration, staff and offenders.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required.
- Apply gender responsive and trauma informed care and practices while working with female offenders.
- Coordinate or participate in transition meetings.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervene when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
- Maintain accountability of offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and experience requirements:
- Master's degree in counseling, social work, psychology, mental health, substance abuse counseling or associated field and current license in the State of Texas as a Licensed Professional Counselor ( LPC ), Licensed Master Social Worker ( LMSW ) or licensed psychologist.
- Four years related experience preferred.
- Computer skills desired and evaluative and counseling skills are essential.
- A valid driver license in the state of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Post-hire requirements: Must be certified in CPR and First Aid prior to inmate contact. Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements and pass an annual background check, both of which must be approved by TDCJ. Must maintain valid license or certification for continued employment in position.
Why: Help humans break the cycle. Join the MTC team and transform lives!