Substance Abuse Counselor Intern
This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Dallas, TX
Job ID: 45304
Description Looking for a meaningful career in substance abuse treatment? At the Hutchins State Jail in Dallas, Texas, we provide a safe and secure working environment for our staff while helping offenders gain the treatment necessary for success upon release. Our team members enjoy competitive wages, affordable health, dental, and prescription drug insurance, education and tuition assistance, paid time off, 9 paid holidays, flexible schedules, 401(k) with company match, and a chance to make a difference every day!
At Hutchins, a philosophy of caring about others, giving back, and making a social impact is the foundation of all we do.
Reports to the substance abuse counselor II. Performs moderately complex substance abuse counseling work within the DWI programs. Work involves planning, coordinating, and implementing substance abuse counseling activities; and coordinating with other departments to ensure the maximum utilization of resources available for chemical dependency treatment and rehabilitation.
- Provides substance abuse counseling and recovery skills training; participates in offender orientation, educational and individual and process counseling groups in compliance with program standards, guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Interviews, screens, and evaluates offenders for potential program participation.
- Provides a comprehensive evaluation from a battery of valid measurement tools to assess the recovery needs and the re-offense risk of offenders.
- Participates in the Individual Treatment Plan based on the severity and characteristics of the offender as determined by the comprehensive assessment, review of collateral information, and the Clinical interview.
- Maintains offender records and other records regarding services provided to include workload statistics; and compiles data and submits reports and related documentation as appropriate.
- Provides liaison to participants of training programs, workshops, and seminars.
- Implements follow-up and after care plans for offenders that participate in the program prior to their release; and disseminates information on community resources for offender placement in follow-up treatment.
- At the conclusion of the program, an Individual Progress Summary will be developed for each offender on caseload to reflect the evaluation results together with comments about the offender’s level of participation and quality of completion in the programs.
- Submit copy of the Individual Progress Summary to the Parole Division to be included in the Parole Case Summary.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent or GED. Must have a current letter of registration as a Counselor Intern (LCDC-I) from the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) or current valid certification as a Certified Criminal Justice Professional Applicant Status (CCJP-A) as approved by the Texas Certification Board of Addiction Professionals.
Valid driver’s license in the state of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.