Reports to the principal. Serves as instructional resource consultant and materials specialist to principal and
offenders in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Texas Department of Criminal Justice
1. Develop and maintains a balanced collection appropriate to the needs of the offender populations.
2. Selects library books, periodicals and materials to be purchased.
3. Advise the principal of library material, equipment and instructional needs of the facility.
4. Conduct library inventory.
5. Conduct library orientation and library skill lessons for classes in coordination with unit instructors.
6. Recommend unit library procedures and regulations for assigned units.
7. Maintains, organizes and supervises the circulation of library materials.
8. Supervise and train offender librarians.
9. Prepare, maintain and reports appropriate unit records on circulation, inventory, newspapers and
10. Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening
when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills
procedures and intervention techniques.
11. Maintain accountability of staff, offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by
Education and Experience Requirements:
Master's Degree from a college or university accredited by an organization recognized by the Council for Higher
Education (CHEA) or United States Department of Education (USDE) and the State Board for Educator
Certification (SBEC) Librarian or Learning Resources Specialist certificate.
Bachelor's degree and SBEC School Librarian (or equivalent) certificate.
Be eligible for a probationary certificate.
Probationary certificate requirements:
Letter from a college or university indicating probationary requirements have been met by acceptance in
the certification program.
Valid driver’s license in the state of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by
Post Hire Requirements:
Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements and pass an annual background check, both of
which must be approved by TDCJ. Must be a U.S. Citizen.