Vocational Instructor (Horticulture)
This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Meridian, MS
Job ID: 46318
Facility: East Mississippi Corr. Center
Description Reports to the lead instructor. Responsible for providing vocational instruction to inmates in accordance with approved curricula. Provides inmates with basic direction in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC), and Mississippi Department of Corrections (MDOC) directives.Essential Functions
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.Education and Experience RequirementsHigh school diploma or equivalent and three (3) years' experience in a classroom setting. Standard certification or licensure from the Mississippi Department of Education preferred. Valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.Post HIre Qualifications and Training RequirementsMust successfully complete annual in-service training requirements.
- Deliver individualized competency based instruction through classroom and laboratory management in the occupational program areas taught to inmates.
- Develop performance objectives and criterion-referenced tests in accordance with established program content.
- Review, select and adapt instructional materials to help individuals reach mastery of the competencies required for entry, advancement and upgrading occupations.
- Plan activities to efficiently initiate budget requests to assure that all equipment, supplies and materials are available to support a progressive training schedule.
- Monitor motivation, discipline and learning difficulties to bring about positive changes in the behavior of inmates.
- Evaluate and maintain records of the offender's progress toward completion of pre-stated performance objectives.
- Execute all applicable forms to adhere to facility procedures.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed.
- Maintain accountability of staff, inmates and property; adhere to safety practices.