Director Of Nursing
This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Chaparral, NM
Job ID: 46621
Facility: Otero Cty. Proc. Ctr (Medical)
Reports to the health services administrator. Directly supervises nursing assistant III, clerk II, and all registered nurse and licensed practical nurse staff. Directs the management of nursing services and the supervision of the ancillary clinical staff in the medical unit. Responsible for executing physician’s orders, dispensing and administering medications, and assisting physician in examinations and treatment of patients in compliance with MTC Medical and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) directives.
- Monitor assigned medical unit and act as a clinical resource for staff.
- Monitor and assign duties to nursing personnel as appropriate to caseload, shift and unit.
- Assure adequate coverage on all shifts. Fill in as needed during periods of short staffing. Monitor call-ins and use of overtime. Assume on call status for staff problems. Assume on call status in absence of health services administrator.
- Conduct in-services, audits, chart reviews, statistical evaluations, and changes in policy or procedure.
- Provide oversight of sick call, medication administration, and other clinical activities.
- Coordinate and report referral of inmates to emergency services based on their medical condition.
- Facilitate NCCHC/JCAHO/ACA accreditation of the medical program by providing the required level of efficiency and approved, appropriate medical services.
- Assist the health services administrator in monitoring environmental sanitation, safety and health related issues by performing inspections and generating recommendations based on those inspections.
- Use or direct the use of appropriate sanitation methods ensuring adherence to all OSHA regulations.
- Utilize established corporate, facility and correctional policies and procedures in making decisions, but use sound independent judgment in meeting the responsibilities and performing the duties of the position.
- Practice advanced cost containment and utilization management for patient care and facility operations.
- Maintain absolute security and confidentiality of all medical records.
- Review medical files to determine all provided services are documented.
- Closely monitor illnesses.
- Audit pharmacy use for adherence to formulary and compliance with all pharmacy regulations.
- Conduct staff meetings; Promote communications and the proper floe of relevant information in the medical unit.
- Prepare and disseminate safety and accident reports as required by policies and procedures; take appropriate action in cases of serious and unusual incidents and emergencies.
- Perform rescue functions at accidents, emergencies and disasters to include administering basic emergency medical aid, physically removing people away from dangerous situations, and securing and evacuating people from confined areas.
- Assist corporate counsel with responses to inmate lawsuits.
- Inmate orientation (A&O); Assure that inmates arriving at the facility are adequately oriented to services available and procedure for obtaining medical services. Assure that all inmates assigned to work as medical orderlies are trained in handling of contaminated waste, and proper cleaning of contaminated surfaces, and monitors their compliance with instruction.
- Organize monthly in-service education for healthcare staff. Assure that staff receive in-service yearly as required.
- Maintain current licensure on all staff requiring such licensure.
- Assist the health services administrator in recruiting, orienting, supervising and evaluating the performance of all healthcare staff. Complete a yearly written evaluation on all directly supervised staff and a six month evaluation on new employees.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
- Maintain accountability of staff, inmates and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Completion of an Accredited Registered Nursing program and a minimum of three (3) years professional nursing experience with one (1) year supervisory experience. Must be a licensed registered nurse in the state of New Mexico or compact state. Must possess current CPR certification. Valid driver’s license in the state of New Mexico or Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Post Hire Requirements:Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements and maintain appropriate facility clearance