Reports to the designated assistant shift supervisor (sergeant) and/or shift supervisor (lieutenant). Responsible for
the custody and discipline of offenders in the facility in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC)
and Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) directives. If assigned to the transportation department,
responsible for the transporting of offenders to and from the facility in accordance with established procedures.
1. Search for contraband and provide security.
2. Count, feed and supervise offenders in housing, work and other areas, which include climbing stairs.
3. Provide custody and security of offenders including observation of offenders, which includes long periods of
sitting and standing.
4. Perform security functions including “pat” and “strip” searches, by squatting and bending to perform such
5. Transfer and transport offenders by walking or riding in vehicles. Restrain and secure assaultive offenders
6. Respond to emergencies including climbing stairs, steps, and ladders while searching for escaped
offenders, hearing calls for and calling for help, giving first aid at the emergency site, carrying an injured or
unconscious offender or employee various distances to safety up or down stairs, steps and ladders; and use
force and deadly force to include the use of chemical agents and firearms to control offenders.
7. Read, review and properly apply information found in offender records, which is related to the offenders’
health and safety and to the security of the facility. Provide appropriate information to other personnel while
maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
8. Prepare and maintain records, forms and reports.
9. Read, follow and adhere to the post orders of the assigned location.
10. Perform specific duties if assigned to the following areas; commissary, property, transportation, recreation,
mailroom, escort/roving, laundry, visiting room, mobile patrol, central control, housing, restrictive housing
11. If assigned to the food services area, assist in instructing offenders assigned to food service in the safe,
hygienic method of preparing and serving appetizing, eye-appealing meals.
12. It is expected the incumbent will work overtime when directed to do so.
13. Regular and predictable attendance is required.
14. Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening
when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills
procedures and intervention techniques.
15. Maintain accountability of staff, offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by
Education and Experience Requirements:
Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent or GED. Successful completion of an accredited
TDCJ-approved Correctional Officer Training program or TDCJ Correctional Officer Pre-service Training Academy.
Continued employment is contingent upon passing exams and skills tests. Valid driver’s license in the state of
Texas with an acceptable driving record required.
Must be a U.S. Citizen.