This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Post, TX
Job ID: 47047
Reports to the deputy jail administrator/PREA coordinator. Responsible for coordinating and providing structured, well-rounded recreation programming in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Harris County Sheriff’s Office directives.
- Supervise the instruction of inmates in recreation activities.
- Oversee the preparation of a variety of well-planned recreation activities including individual and team sports, special interest programs and others.
- Manage the development and distribution of weekly, monthly and annual recreational plans and activities schedules.
- Control use of equipment and supplies; make minor repairs and recommend purchases. Maintain accurate inventory of supplies and recreational equipment.
- Provide information regarding special and scheduled activities.
- Requires long periods of walking, standing, and physical activity.
- Perform security functions; person, property and facility searches. Including “pat” and “strip” searches, which includes squatting and bending.
- Maintains appropriate boundaries with inmates.
- Creates and maintains a cellblock atmosphere conducive to respect of others.
- Transfer and transport inmates by walking or riding in vehicles. Restrain and secure assaultive inmates, as needed.
- Respond to emergencies including climbing stairs, steps, and ladders while searching for escaped inmates, hearing calls for and calling for help, giving first aid at the emergency site, carrying an injured or unconscious inmate or employee various distances to safety up or down stairs, steps and ladders; and use force. Must be trained in the use of deadly force to include the use of chemical agents and firearms to control inmates if assigned to an armed post.
- Perform 2-way voice communication and face to face observation with all inmates.
- Regular and reliable onsite attendance is required.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed.
- Maintain accountability of staff, inmates and property; adhere to safety practices.
- Visual, hearing, and physical capabilities sufficient to adequately perform assigned duties required.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:High school diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s degree in recreation, physical education or related field and three (3) years’ experience in the coordination of recreation activities preferred. Must possess a Jailer Certificate as determined by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE). Must pass both a physical and psychological assessment as determined by TCOLE. Must be at least 18 years of age. Prior corrections experience is preferred. Valid driver’s license in the state of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.