Location: Meridian, MS
Job ID: 47687
Starting Rate: $25.00/hr
Reports to the Chief of Security. Directly supervises the shift Lieutenants. Responsible for the custody and discipline of inmates in unit in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Mississippi Department of Correction (MDOC) directives.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management. Education and Experience Requirements:High School Diploma or Equivalent and Three (3) years corrections or related experienced required, one (1) of which must be in a supervisory capacity. Valid driver’s license in the state of Mississippi with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.Post Hire Requirements:
- Assist the Major in planning, coordinating and supervising the administrative and programmatic activities of the department.
- Provide staff training, evaluate staff performance and recommend department and personnel changes to the Chief of Security.
- Asist the Major in the preparation of the department budget; monitor and control expenditures.
- Assist in the development implementation of new and revised policies, procedures and program affecting security.
- Assist the Major in overall supervision of correctional officers and inmates; supervise, protect, instruct, train, counsel and evaluate assigned employees and inmates; schedule employees’ and inmates’ work and off duty time; make recommendation for inmates being considered for Trustee Status; assist in formulating security and work procedures.
- Supervise and direct searches for contraband and provide security.
- Supervise and provide custody and security of inmates including observation of inmates.
- Respond to facility emergencies.
- Read, review and properly apply information found in inmate records which is related to the inmates’ health and safety and to the security of the facility. Provide appropriate information to other personnel.
- Supervise the preparation and maintenance of records, forms and reports.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed. Provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills of staff, inmates and property; adhere to safety practices.
- Maintain accountability of staff, inmates and property; adhere to safety practices.
After hire, must successfully complete 120 hours or pre-service training including firearms and unarmed self-defense courses. Training and development required to remain in the classification after employment includes annual re-qualification in the use of firearms, and the successful completion of unarmed self-defense training.
Management & Training Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran