Substance Abuse Counselor Intern
Location: Bryan, TX
Job ID: 47786
Begin a meaningful career in substance abuse treatment with Management & Training Corporation at the Hamilton Unit located in Bryan, Texas. At Hamilton, our foundation is based upon the philosophies of caring about others, giving back and making a social impact. We provide a safe and secure working environment for our staff while helping an at-risk population receive the treatment necessary for success on their road back to a healthy, productive life. In addition to competitive wages and an opportunity to impact lives, MTC team members enjoy a variety of benefits including:
- Medical, vision, and prescription drug benefits
- Dental benefits
- Life insurance
- Accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability benefits
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employee assistance program
- Paid time off (PTO)
- Paid holidays
- Bereavement leave
- Civic duty and military leave
- Travel insurance
- Education assistance
Performs moderately complex substance abuse counseling work. Work involves planning, coordinating, and implementing substance abuse counseling activities; and coordinating with other departments to ensure the maximum utilization of resources available for chemical dependency treatment and rehabilitation.
- Provides substance abuse counseling and recovery skills training; participates in offender orientation, educational and individual and process counseling groups in compliance with program standards, guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Interviews, screens, and evaluates offenders for potential program participation.
- Provides a comprehensive evaluation from a battery of valid measurement tools to assess the recovery needs and the re-offense risk of offenders.
- Participates in the Individual Treatment Plan based on the severity and characteristics of the offender as determined by the comprehensive assessment, review of collateral information, and the Clinical interview.
- Maintains offender records and other records regarding services provided to include workload statistics; and compiles data and submits reports and related documentation as appropriate.
- Provides liaison to participants of training programs, workshops, and seminars.
- Implements follow-up and after care plans for offenders that participate in the program prior to their release; and disseminates information on community resources for offender placement in follow-up treatment.
- At the conclusion of the program, an Individual Progress Summary will be developed for each offender on caseload to reflect the evaluation results together with comments about the offender’s level of participation and quality of completion in the programs.
- Submit copy of the Individual Progress Summary to the Parole Division to be included in the Parole Case Summary.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent or GED.
- Must have a current letter of registration as a Counselor Intern (LCDC-I) from the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) or current valid certification as a Certified Criminal Justice Professional Applicant Status (CCJP-A) as approved by the Texas Certification Board of Addiction Professionals.
- Selected applicants must obtain a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC) license or a Certified Criminal Justice Professional (CCJP) certification within five (5) years from the date of their registration as a Counselor Intern or CCJP-A.
- Must sign a Credential Contingency Agreement that will remain in effect only until the initially established expiration date. Failure to comply with this contingency statement will result in separation from employment. Credential Contingency Agreements will not be extended or renewed as a result of an employee’s separation from employment or acceptance of another position.
- Valid driver license in the state of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Post Hire Requirements
Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements and pass an annual background check, both of which must be approved by Texas Department of Criminal Justice.