Substance Abuse Counselor II- (LCDC)
Location: San Antonio, TX
Job ID: 47906
Make a difference! At the Dominguez Unit in San Antonio, TX, a philosophy of caring about others, giving back, and making a social impact are the foundation of all we do. We are looking for treatment professionals interested in helping us with our mission of providing a social impact to members of an at-risk population that need your help on their road back to a healthy, productive life.
Reports to the program director. Directly supervises substance abuse counselor I. Instructs offenders and maintains records for the DWI program. Duties involve planning, coordinating, and implementing the DWI program; and coordinating with other departments to ensure the maximum utilization of resources available for chemical dependency treatment and rehabilitation.
- Provide instruction to the offenders for the DWI program.
- Interviews, screens, and evaluates offenders for potential program participation.
- Maintains offender records and other records regarding services provided to include workload statistics; and compiles data and submits reports and related documentation as appropriate.
- Possess good communication skills and have demonstrated instructional ability.
- Use a variety of teaching strategies.
- Administer and evaluate pre and post-test instruments.
- Assists in planning chemical dependency counseling programs; and coordinates the delivery of counseling services to offenders with histories of chemical use, abuse, or addiction.
- Provides a comprehensive evaluation from a battery of valid measurement tools to assess the recovery needs and the re-offense risk of offenders.
- Participates in the Individual Treatment Plan based on the severity and characteristics of the offender as determined by the comprehensive assessment, review of collateral information, and the Clinical interview.
- Provides counseling and recovery skills training; participates in offender orientation, educational and individual and process counseling groups in compliance with program standards, guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Maintains offender records and other records regarding services provided to include statistical feedback on evaluations; and compiles data and submits reports and related documentation as appropriate.
- At the conclusion of the program, an Individual Progress Summary will be developed for each offender on caseload to reflect the evaluation results together with comments about the offender’s level of participation and quality of completion in programs.
- Submit copy of the Individual Progress Summary to the Parole Division to be included in the Parole Case Summary.
- Supervises the work of others; and assists in instructing others in program methods, procedures, and functions.
Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent or GED. Two (2) years full-time, wage-earning experience in substance abuse treatment or substance abuse education. Current valid license as a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC) by the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS). Required successful completion of the Texas DWI Education In-Service Training Program approved by DSHS and qualified to be a Substance Abuse Subtle Screening Inventory (SASSI) administrator. Valid driver’s license in the state of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.