Reports to the designated warden or assistant warden. Directly supervises the maintenance technicians and
maintenance clerk. Responsible for the supervision of the maintenance department in compliance with Management
& Training Corporation (MTC) and Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) directives.
1. Plan and coordinate the administrative and maintenance services of the departments.
2. Provide staff training, evaluate staff performance, recommend and implement department and personnel
changes as approved by the designated warden in coordination with the human resources manager prior to
3. Create systems to effectively manage staff at assigned facility.
4. Assist the designated wardens in the preparation of the departmental budget; monitor and control
5. Assist in the development and implementation of new and revised policies and procedures affecting
6. Conduct regular inspection of buildings, grounds and equipment to ensure proper repair, facility
improvement and preventive maintenance in compliance with program requirements and safety/building
7. Perform maintenance tasks on buildings, grounds and equipment as needed and maintain an effective work
8. Train, supervise and evaluate offenders assigned to the department.
9. Coordinate with other facility staff to determine maintenance needs.
10. Prepare and maintain appropriate management records such as equipment inventory and building systems
11. Develop and ensure adherence to the facility preventive maintenance plans; ensure manufacturers
recommended preventative maintenance schedules are met.
12. Oversee the count of control items assigned to staff including tool carts and tool bags, or other control items
required to be secured before and after use.
13. Ability to perform the physical function of the position with includes, but is not limited to; ability to walk
properties, climb stairs, climb ladders, use power tools and/or hand tools, lift, squat, bend, sit, stand or kneel
for long periods of time.
14. Follow all safety regulations to include Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and the use of Personal
Protective Equipment (PPE) for self as well as staff and offenders assigned to the maintenance department.
15. Provide on-call support in emergency situations or equipment breakdowns.
16. Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening
when inappropriate behaviors are observed. Provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills
procedures and intervention techniques.
17. Maintain accountability of staff, offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.Education and Experience Requirements:
Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent or GED. Seven (7) years full-time, wage-earning
facilities maintenance or construction experience. Thirty (30) semester hours from a college or university
accredited by an organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or by the
United States Department of Education (USDE) may be substituted for the required experience on a year-for-year basis for a maximum substitution of three (3) years. Two (2) years full-time, wage-earning experience in the supervision of employees or Offenders. Valid driver’s license in the state of Texas