Reports to the designated sergeant. Responsible for the custody and discipline of detainees in the facility in
compliance with MTC and customer directives.
1. Search for contraband and provide security.
2. Count, feed and supervise detainees in housing, work and other areas.
3. Provide custody and security of detainees including observation of detainees, which includes long
periods of sitting and standing.
4. Perform security functions including “pat” and “strip” searches, by squatting and bending to perform
5. Transfer and transport detainees by walking or riding in vehicles; restrain and secure assaultive
detainees, as needed.
6. Respond to emergencies to search for detainees, administer first aid at the emergency site, carry an
injured or unconscious detainee, and perform use of force procedures, including the use of chemical
agents to control detainees.
7. Read, review and properly apply information found in detainee records, which is related to the
detainees’ health and safety and to the security of the facility; provide appropriate information to other
8. Prepare and maintain records, forms and reports.
9. Perform specific duties if assigned to the following areas: property, escort/roving, central control, library,
barbershop, armory, medical, utility, video monitoring, sally port, hospital, yard squad, court, visitation,
mobile patrol, main control, housing unit, administration segregation and intake.
10. It is expected the incumbent will work overtime when directed to do so.
11. Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and
intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding
social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
12. Maintain accountability of staff, detainees and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her scope of work as
determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent required. Law enforcement or related experience preferred. Must
successfully complete pre-service training. Valid driver’s license in the state of New Mexico or Texas with an
acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Post Hire Requirements:
Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements and maintain appropriate facility clearance.
MTC offers a variety of benefits to assist employees in balancing their personal and professional lives, such as:
- Medical, dental, and prescription drug benefits
- Dental benefits
- Life insurance
- Accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability benefits
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employee assistance program
- Sick leave and vacation (or PTO, varies by location)
- Bereavement leave
- Civic duty and Military Leave
- Education assistance
In addition to the benefits listed above, MTC also provides its employees with its BIONIC (Believe it or Not I Care) Wellness Program. This free program features a wide range of tools, resources, and communication to address employee wellness from a mental, emotional, and physical perspective.