Reports to the DHO captain. Directly supervises assigned assistant shift supervisors (sergeants) and correctional
officers. Responsible for the custody and care of offenders; maintaining order and discipline among offenders;
scheduling; training; and supervising staff in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Texas
Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) directives.
1. Serve as shift supervisor. Conduct daily shift briefings to provide updates information and issuance of
2. Maintain daily shift roster to ensure required posts are filled; address staffing shortages and post vacancies.
3. Supervise, protect, instruct, train, counsel and evaluate assigned employees and offenders; schedule
employees’ and offenders’ work and off-duty time; assist in formulating security and work procedures.
4. Supervise and direct searches for contraband and provide security.
5. Supervise and provide custody and security of offenders including observation of offenders and offenders
assigned to work duty, which includes long periods of sitting and standing.
6. Perform specific security functions including “pat” and “strip” searches, by squatting and bending to perform
7. Provide staff training, evaluate staff performance, investigate staff misconduct and implement organizational
and personnel changes as approved by the warden and coordinated with the human resources manager
prior to implementation.
8. Participate in the interview and selection process of new employees, including making recommendations for
9. Respond to emergencies including climbing stairs, steps, and ladders while searching for escaped
offenders, hearing calls for and calling for help, giving first aid at the emergency site, carrying and injured or
unconscious offender or employee various distances to safety up or down stairs, steps, and ladders; and
use force and deadly force to include the use of chemical agents and firearms to control offenders.
10. Read, review and properly apply information found in offender records which is related to the offenders’
health and safety and to the security of the facility. Provide appropriate information as needed to other
personnel and maintain confidentiality.
11. Supervise the preparation and maintenance of records, forms and reports.
12. Prepare and complete required incident reports and logs in a thorough, accurate, and timely manner.
13. Oversee the count process and ensure accurate facility count at designated time intervals.
14. Authorize and oversee planned use of force events; complete all notifications and reports as required.
15. Complete rounds of all areas of the facility and be accessible to staff where needed.
16. Conduct minor disciplinary hearings.
17. Act as family liaison officer for visitation.
18. Regular and predictable attendance is required.
19. Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening
when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills
procedures and intervention techniques.
20. Maintain accountability of staff, offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by
management.Education and Experience Requirements:
Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent or GED. Three (3) years full-time, wage-earning
correctional custody or law enforcement experience to include one (1) year in the supervision of employees.
Operational Review Sergeant or Security Threat Group Sergeant experience may be substituted for one (1) year of the required supervisory experience. Thirty (30) semester hours with a minimum of six (6) semester hours in Criminal Justice from a college or university accredited by an organization recognized by the Council for HigherPosition Description
Education Accreditation (CHEA) or United States Department of Education (USDE) may be substituted for one (1) year of the required non-supervisory experience. Valid driver’s license in the state of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management. Must be a U.S. Citizen.