Location: New Haven, CT
Job ID: 48426
Facility: Job Corps
Come Join The New Haven Job Corps TEAM !
Reports to the safety & security manager/safety officer. Responsible for coordinating the center safety program in compliance with government and management directives and federal, state and local regulations.
- Inspect all center areas for safety of facilities and health violations to identify potential hazards; initiate corrective action.
- Ensure fire extinguishers are available in required locations and in working condition at all times.
- Assist in developing and implementing the occupational safety and health plan.
- Assist in the development of new and revised policies and procedures affecting safety.
- Provide fire and safety procedures and literature to staff and students; develop and implement safety training programs for staff and students on the center safety and health plan; conduct training for staff on OSHA standards.
- Maintain logs and reports of all employee and student injury/accident reports; investigate serious accidents and make recommendations for prevention.
- Coordinate with other center staff concerning safety programs.
- Ensure monthly fire drills are conducted in all areas.
- Promote safety campaigns on center to reduce accidents.
- Ensure that personal protective equipment (PPE) is worn in the trades to comply with OSHA standards. Provide training in proper usage.
- Complete accident investigation reports which include a detailed narrative of the incident, injuries, causal factors and recommendations for corrective action.
- Facilitate monthly safety committee meetings. Review accidents since last meeting and identify corrective actions.
- Participate in career development services system by ensuring safe and secure living environment for students.
- Maintain a safe and clean work area that models high standards for a work environment.
- Provide positive, quality customer services to students, staff and other center customers.
- Participate in student employability programs and activities.
- Support, promote, and enforce the Job Corps’ Zero Tolerance Policy.
- Promote the development of career success standards by modeling appropriate behaviors, mentoring students where necessary and monitoring both positive and negative behaviors through interventions.
- Maintain accountability of staff, students and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent. One year’s security experience or completion of a security training program preferred. Experience with youth, excellent written and verbal communications skills and computer proficiency required. Valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record, unless waived by management.