Reports to the maintenance supervisor. Responsible for the duties involving general maintenance and repairs on
equipment and buildings, assisting with technical trades such as plumbing and general maintenance functions in
compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ)
1. Perform maintenance and repair of structures, plumbing and drainage systems. Recommend contracted
assistance when on-site repair is not possible.
2. Perform repair or replacement of plumbing fixtures, washers, seals, etc.
3. Assist with the repair or replacement faulty or damaged light fixtures, outlets and fuses as directed.
4. Perform minor construction and repair of structural woodwork.
5. Install window shades or coverings, security locks, etc.
6. Help prepare surfaces for finishing, i.e., painting, as directed.
7. Direct offenders assigned to facility maintenance.
8. Perform preventive maintenance checks of buildings and equipment as prescribed by manufacturer.
9. Perform on-call support in emergency situations when equipment malfunctions.
10. Provide cleaning, transportation, moving of equipment as needed.
11. Perform counts of all control items assigned to include, tool cart or tool bag, and any other control items
including class A tools and equipment, by providing counts at the beginning and end of each shift.
12. Ability to perform the physical function of the position which may include, but is not limited to; ability to walk
property, climb stairs, climb ladders, use power tools and/or hand tools, lift, squat, bend, sit, or kneel for long
periods of time.
13. Follow all safety regulations to include the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for self as well as
offenders assigned to the maintenance department.
14. Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening
when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills
procedures and intervention techniques.
15. Maintain accountability of staff, offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by
Education and Experience Requirements:
Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent or GED. Three (3) years full-time, wage-earning
experience in plumbing or pipefitting. Experience in the supervision of offenders preferred. Valid driver’s license in
the state of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Must be a U.S. Citizen.