Description Position Summary:
Reports to the deputy warden operations. Directly supervises the production supervisors, indirectly supervises line supervisors, and residents assigned to the food service department. Responsible for the management of food services, which includes the resident dining hall and special food services in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Mississippi Department of Corrections (MDOC) directives.Essential Functions:
1. Ensures dining, service, and food preparation areas and equipment are maintained in a clean and sanitary manner; and ensures compliance with sanitation, safety, and health regulations.
2. Inspects food for quantity, quality, and temperature; assures proper storage and use of inventory; and supervises the monitoring and logging of temperatures.
3. Instructs employees and offenders on safety rules and regulations, proper use of soaps and chemicals, sanitary procedures, food preparation and portion control, and the operation of food service equipment.
4. Prepares daily menus; ensures adequate controls are maintained over food preparation quantities and portion sizes; prepares menus for special diet requirements of offenders; and reviews cooks’ worksheets for accuracy.
5. Oversees the department budget assuring the department operates efficiently and within budget; prepares budget reports and reconciles the budget monthly.
6. Plans, assigns, and supervises the work of employees and offenders; reviews employee and offender work schedules for adequate coverage; establishes and administers orientation and departmental in service
training programs for food service staff and offenders.
7. This position requires long periods of standing and walking.
8. Must be able to perform physical requirements such as pushing and pulling meal carts, and lifting foodservice related items.
9. Regular attendance is required.
10. Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
11. Maintain accountability of staff, offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.Education and Experience Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent , and three (3) years wage earning experience in correctional, commercial, or institutional food service preparation and budgeting. One (1) year full-time, wage-earing experience in the supervision of employees is also required. Must obtain and maintain required certifications for food service in the state of Mississippi. Valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management. Post Hire Requirements:
Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements.