Vocational Instructor - Carpentry
Location: Henderson, TX
Job ID: 48993
Reports to the principal. Responsible for providing vocational instruction to inmates in accordance with approved curricula in compliance with management & Training Corporations (MTC) and Texas department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) directives.
- Deliver individualized competency based instruction through classroom and laboratory management in the occupation program areas taught to inmates
- Develop performance objectives and criterion-referenced tests in accordance with established program content, incorporate written and skill assessments.
- Utilize appropriate audio and visual teaching materials individualized to the specific need of the offender
- Assess student performance
- Participate in staff conferences in an endeavor to develop and improve education al programs
- Review, select and adapt instructional materials to help individuals reach mastery of the competencies required for entry, advancement, and upgrading occupations.
- Plan activities to efficiently initiate budget request to assure that all equipment, supplies and materials are available to support a progressive training schedule.
- Monitor motivation, discipline and learning difficulties to bring about positive changes in the behavior of offenders.
- Execute all applicable forms to adhere to facility procedures.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed
- Maintain accountability of inmates and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Must meet Windham School District (WSD) and State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) certification requirements for area of assignment
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university and three (3) years of full-time, wage-earning experience with ithe last eight (8) years, in the subject content area of assignment
High School Diploma from an accredited high school, or gold a GED equivalent and five (5) years of full-time, wage-earning experience with the last eight (8) years in the subject area of assignment.