Reports to the principal. Responsible for providing academic instruction to offenders in accordance with
approved curricula in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Texas Department of
Criminal Justice (TDCJ) directives.
1. Plan and conduct classes for offenders in Adult Basic Education (ABE) and General Educational
Development (GED), reading skills development, language skills development, writing skills, math,
language arts, literature, science, social studies, special education curriculum and other subjects
selected to correspond with the ability and limitations of the class.
2. Prepare special teaching plans, courses, activities and learning experiences appropriate for the specific
offenders assigned with written curricula coordinated with the Secretary’s Commission on Achieving
Necessary Skills (SCANS) competencies and workplace skills.
3. Utilize appropriate audio and visual teaching materials individualized to the specific needs of the
4. Administer individual educational tests and learning aptitude tests and use the results for prescriptive
5. Assess and document offender performance and provide feedback to offenders.
6. Participate in staff conferences in an endeavor to develop and improve educational programs.
7. Coordinate activities and classes in conjunction with appropriate school districts or other parties.
8. Develop program and related educational materials as necessary for the establishment and
maintenance of assigned classes.
9. Adjust material and curriculum to the individual differences of the offenders assigned.
10. Confer with offenders and instructors to evaluate results of conducted classes.
11. Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and
intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding
social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
12. Maintain accountability of offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as
determined by management.Education and Experience Requirements:Bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by an organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or United States Department of Education (USDE) and State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) certificate for area of assignment required. Elementary and/or Secondary level certifications in core subject area. Valid driver’s license in the state of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management. Must be a U.S. Citizen.
Management & Training Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled