Senior Residential Advisor
Location: Charleston, WV
Job ID: 49188
Facility: Job Corps
Shift will be Monday - Wednesday 11:30pm-8:30am and Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm
What you will be doing
This is a non-exempt position that will report to the residential living manager. Supervises residential advisors as assigned. Responsible for residential activities within the dormitory providing for maximum program coordination, student discipline, counseling, attractive and well maintained dormitory environment, and preparation of records and reports, in compliance with government and management directives.
- High school diploma or equivalent and two years experience working with youth and young adults. Supervisor experience preferred.
- Knowledge of human behavior, individual and group counseling techniques, management skills and case summaries.
- Valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
What is Job Corps?Job Corps is a federally funded comprehensive program that provides essential academic and career skills training to eligible students designed to prepare them for success in every aspect of their lives. Charleston Job Corps is located in Charleston, WV and is managed by Management & Training Corporation (MTC), a privately held company that successfully operates Job Corps, Corrections, Medical and Economic/Social Development contracts.Visit our websites to learn more about the program and MTC:Program: https://charleston.jobcorps.gov/Company: https://www.mtctrains.com/
- Monitor and control dormitory conditions; evaluate situations and conditions within the dormitories and make decisions or recommendations to management.
- Provide input to supervision regarding the performance of residential advisors assigned to dormitory.
- Perform administrative duties involving student passes, leaves, evaluations, progress reports, negative incident reports, emergencies, and terminations.
- Communicate with families of students by email and phone as required to resolve problems and assure the well‑being of students.
- Provide proper guidance to students to ensure positive group living relations and achievement in the program.
- Provide continuous educational, tutoring, personal and social adjustment counseling on an individual and group basis; recommend necessary program modifications throughout each assigned student's stay.
- Conduct continuous interpretation and evaluation of progress in student's specific development program; coordinate problem cases and point out areas in which guidance and development techniques can be improved. Maintain, up to date documentation, case notes and records using CIS, as well as other systems of documentation.
- Oversee each student’s personal career development plan in center information system (CIS).
- Work with designated advisor to develop retention plans and participate in retention program.
- Direct dorm activities as designated.
- Patrol and monitor dormitories, ensuring proper coverage in each one.
- Assist with recreational activities for students on and off center.
- Transport students to and from recreational functions, airport or bus stations as required.
- Prepare the morning student roster; pass list and other administrative correspondence relating to students.
- Direct students and assist in the cleanup and maintenance of the dormitory.
- Recommend or requisition supplies to provide needs for dorm living and safety of students.
- Conduct group sessions in accordance with the schedule; participate in and conduct career preparation activities and Career Success Standards (CSS) training.
- Maintain dormitory and individual student files; maintain files to include complete, updated and required documentation. Update student records in CIS as required.
- Conduct daily inspections of several dormitories, as assigned.
- Patrol and monitor center as required to ensure safety and proper behavior of students; resolve potential or occurring problems.
- De-escalate potential verbal or physical student altercations.
- It is expected the incumbent will work extra hours when directed to do so.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required.