Description Position Summary:
Reports to the chief of security. Directly supervises assigned sergeants. Responsible for the custody and discipline of detainees in the facility in compliance with MTC and customer directives.Essential Functions:
1. Serve as shift supervisor.
2. Supervise, protect, instruct, train, counsel and evaluate assigned employees and detainees; schedule employees’ and detainees’ work and off-duty time; assist in formulating security and work procedures.
3. Supervise and direct searches for contraband and provide security.
4. Supervise and provide custody and security of detainees including observation of detainees and detainees assigned to work duty, which includes long periods of sitting and standing.
5. Perform specific security functions including “pat” and “strip” searches’, by squatting and bending to perform such functions.
6. Transfer and transport detainees by walking or riding in vehicles; restrain and secure assaultive detainees, as needed.
7. Respond to emergencies to search for detainees, administer first aid at the emergency site, carry an injured or unconscious offender, and perform use of force procedures, including the use of chemical agents to control detainees.
8. Read, review and properly apply information found in detainee records which is related to the detainees’ health and safety and to the security of the facility; provide appropriate information to other personnel.
9. Supervise the preparation and maintenance of records, forms and reports.
10. Perform specific duties if assigned to the following areas: housing unit, administration segregation and intake.
11. Conduct disciplinary hearings.
12. Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
13. Maintain accountability of staff, detainees and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.Education and Experience Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent and three (3) years of correctional custody or law enforcement experience, one (1) of which must be in a supervisory capacity required. Must successfully complete pre-service training. Valid driver's license in the state of New Mexico or Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.Post Hire Requirements:
Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements and maintain appropriate facility clearance.