Location: Lockhart, TX
Job ID: 49242
We have jobs with a purpose—and you will make a real difference every day. $13/hour starting pay.
Management & Training Corporation is hiring a Counsel Substitute at Gary S. Coleman Unit, located in Lockhart, Texas and Kyle Correctional Center located in Kyle, Texas.
This job is a shared or clustered position. The position requires travel and performing duties between both facilities.
Position title: Counsel Substitute
Facility name: Gregory S. Coleman Unit and Kyle Correctional Center
Location: 1400 MLK Jr. Industrial Blvd., Lockhart, Texas 78644
Work schedule: Full time/8-Hour Shift
- Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent or GED.
- Three (3) years full-time, wage-earning Offender discipline experience.
Two (2) years full-time, wage-earning criminal justice experience.
- Thirty (30) semester hours from a college or university accredited by an organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or by the United States Department of Education (USDE) may be substituted for each year of experience on a year-for-year basis.
- Valid driver's license in the state of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
- Reports to the designated warden or assistant warden.
- Performs entry level work as a representative and advocate of offenders in the correctional facility disciplinary process.
- Work involves providing technical support to offenders in the disciplinary process in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) directives.
Essential Functions Include:
- Notify and interview offenders charged with violations of agency, facility, and unit rules and regulations; explain charges to offenders, facility employees; investigates allegations; conduct interviews, prepare written summaries of witness statements; and obtain all available forms of evidence.
- Prepare and maintain accurate records on activities, assignments, and dispositions; and prepare related reports.
- Assist in analyzing offenders' positions and develop strategies of defense; advise offenders of most appropriate plan of action; represent offenders at the disciplinary hearings; negotiate the mitigation of punishments; advise and assist offenders with disciplinary appellate procedures.
- Create systems to effectively manage the process at assigned facilities.
- Travel between the assigned facilities is required.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
- Maintain accountability of offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
Post Hire Requirements include:
Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements to include physical agility testing and pass an annual background check, which must be approved by TDCJ.