This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Henderson, TX
Job ID: 49431
Work with a purpose! Climb the criminal justice career ladder while changing lives in the inside.
Job title: Sergeant
Facility name: East Texas Treatment Facility
Location: 900 Industrial Drive, Henderson, TX 75652
Pay: $17.00 per hour
Work schedule: Full-time; 12-hour shift
Benefit package includes:
- Health/dental/vision/life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays (9 total)
- Professional development assistance
- Opportunities for career advancement
Job responsibilities: A sergeant directly supervises assigned correctional officers. Responsible for the custody and discipline of offenders in the facility in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) directives.
- Supervise, protect, instruct, train, counsel and evaluate assigned employees.
- Provide for the care, custody and adherence to rules and regulations of offenders assigned to specific work area.
- Supervise and provide custody and security of offenders including observation of offenders and offenders assigned to work duty which includes long periods of sitting and standing.
- Supervise and direct searches for contraband including “pat” and “strip” searches, by squatting and bending to perform such functions.
- Transfer and transport offenders by walking or riding in vehicles. Restrain and secure assaultive offenders as needed.
- Read, review and properly apply information found in offender records which is related to the offenders’ health and safety and to the security of the facility. Provide appropriate information to other personnel.
- Supervise the preparation and maintenance of records, forms and reports.
- Perform specific duties if assigned to the following areas: housing unit, special housing area, education, community service and intake.
- Respond to emergencies to search for offenders, administer first aid at the emergency site, carry an injured or unconscious offender, and perform use of force procedures, including the use of chemical agents to control offenders.
- Comply with policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- It is expected the incumbent will work overtime when directed to do so.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
- Maintain accountability of staff, offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and experience requirements:
- Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent or GED.
- Two years full-time, wage-earning correctional custody or law enforcement experience.
- A valid driver license in the state of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Post-Hire Requirements: Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements to include physical agility testing and pass an annual background check.
Why: Be the answer from the inside. Make a real difference every day!