This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Venus, TX
Job ID: 49451
Work with a purpose! Join a team with values that match your own and make a difference in the lives of people needing second chances.
If you are outstanding at networking and recruitment and have criminal justice experience, then Sanders Estes Unit is the place for you. We are committed to making a social impact in our community while changing lives in the inside.
Position title: Sergeant
Facility name: Sanders Estes Unit
Location: 1100 FM 1807, Venus, TX 76084
Pay: $22.00 per hour
Benefit package includes:
- Health/dental/vision/life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays (9 total)
- Professional development assistance
- Opportunity for job advancement
Job responsibilities: The sergeant supervises assigned correctional officers. Responsible for the custody and discipline of offenders in the facility in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) directives.
- Supervise, protect, instruct, train, counsel and evaluate assigned employees.
- Provide for the care, custody and adherence to rules and regulations of offenders assigned to specific work area.
- Supervise and provide custody and security of offenders including observation of offenders and offenders assigned to work duty which includes long periods of sitting and standing.
- Supervise and direct searches for contraband including “pat” and “strip” searches by squatting and bending to perform such functions.
- Participate in the interview and selection process of new employees, including making recommendations for new hires.
- Transfer and transport offenders by walking or riding in vehicles. Retrain and secure assaultive offenders as needed.
- Read, review and properly apply information found in offender records which is related to the offenders’ health and safety and to the security of the facility. Provide appropriate information to other personnel on a need to know basis.
- Supervise the preparation and maintenance of records, forms and reports.
- Perform specific duties if assigned to the following areas: housing unit, restrictive housing area, education, community service and intake.
- Responds to emergencies including climbing stairs, steps, and ladders while searching for escaped offenders, hearing calls for and calling for help, giving first aid at the emergency site, carrying an injured or unconscious offender or employee various distances to safety up or down stairs, steps, and ladders; and use force and deadly force to include the use of chemical agents and firearms to control offenders.
- Comply with policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- It is expected the incumbent will work overtime when directed to do so.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
- Maintain accountable of staff, offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
- Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent or GEB. Two (2) years full-time, wage-earning correctional custody of law enforcement experience. Valid driver’s license in the state of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Post Hire Requirements: Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements to include physical agility testing and pass an annual background check, both of which must be approved by TDCJ.
Why: Work with a purpose. Make a real difference every day.