Location: Meridian, MS
Job ID: 50660
Description Position Summary
Reports to the case manager supervisor. Responsible for planning, coordinating, developing and implementing a professional individual and group counseling program for assigned inmates in compliance with American Correctional Association (ACA) standards, Management & Training Corporation (MTC), and Mississippi Department of Corrections (MDOC) directives.Essential Functions
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.Education and Experience RequirementsBachelor's degree in counseling or related field required and one (1) year related experience required. Four years of correctional experience may be considered in lieu of education. Must have license or cerification as required by governing state agency. Valid driver's license in the state of Mississippi or Alabama with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management. Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements.
- Review detailed background file, conduct personal interview and test as necessary to analyze and recommend a program for each assigned inmate.
- Initiate and maintain individual personal social development (PSD) folder on each assigned inmate.
- Provide direct aid and counseling to inmates with personal needs or problems, i.e., sickness, injury, family problems, and other related personal problems.
- Provide continuous educational, vocational, personal and social adjustment counseling on an individual and group basis. Recommend necessary program modifications throughout each assigned inmate's stay.
- Conduct continuous interpretation and evaluation of progress in inmate's specific development program. Coordinate problem cases and point out areas in which guidance and development techniques can be improved. Maintain documentation and records.
- Utilize new concepts and approaches. Recommend and conduct training sessions and conferences to develop greater proficiency among staff in areas of guidance and social adjustment.
- Recommend medical or psychiatric evaluation for emotional or psychological problems. Evaluate results and take remedial action as warranted.
- Assist in the evaluation of facility services for inmates and recommend modifications for improvement.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed.
- Maintain accountability of staff, inmates and property; adhere to safety practices.