Pay: $55,120.00 annually (exempt)
Work with a purpose! Join a team with values that match your own and make a difference in the lives of people needing second chances.
Position title: Captain
Facility name: East Texas Treatment Facility
Location: 900 Industrial Drive, Henderson, TX 75652
Work schedule: Full Time
Benefit package includes:
- Health/dental/vision/life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays (9 total)
- Professional development assistance
- Career advancement opportunities are available
Reports to the Major. Directly supervises Lieutenants, Sergeants, Sr. Correctional Officers, Correctional Officers and Security Clerk. Performs complex work supervising the care and custody of offenders. Work involves directing the activities of assigned staff engaged in maintaining order and discipline in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) directives.
- Directs overall supervision of correctional officers and offenders; supervises schedules, instructs, trains, and ensures the safety of assigned employees and offenders; and assists in formulating security and work procedures.
- Supervises and directs searches for contraband; counts, feeds, and supervises offenders in housing, work, and other areas.
- Supervises and provides custody and security of offenders including observing actions of offenders performing “pat” and “strip” searches of offenders, restraining and securing sometimes assaultive offenders, and transferring and transporting offenders by walking, driving, or riding in various vehicles.
- Supervises and provides security of offenders performing technical skills such as construction, maintenance, laundry, and food service which involves working outdoors and indoors.
- Responds to emergencies including climbing stairs, steps, and ladders while searching for escaped offenders, hearing calls for and calling for help, giving first aid at the emergency site, carrying an injured or unconscious offender or employee various distances to safety up or down stairs, steps, and ladders; and uses force and deadly force to include the use of chemical agents and firearms to control offenders.
- Reads, reviews, and properly applies information found in offender records which is related to the offender’s health and safety and to the security of the facility; provides appropriate information to other staff; complies with all policies, procedures, rules, and regulations; enforces offender disciplinary rules; and supervises the preparation and maintenance of records, forms, and reports.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
- Maintain accountability of staff, offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Four years full-time, wage-earning correctional custody or law enforcement experience to include two years in the supervision of employees.
- Operational Review Sergeant or Security Threat Group Sergeant Experience may be substituted for supervisory experience for a maximum substitution of one year.
- At least one year of the supervisory experience must be as a mid-level manager (supervisor of supervisors).
- Thirty semester hours with a minimum of six semester hours in Criminal Justice from a college or university accredited by an organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) may be substituted for one year of non-supervisory experience for a maximum substitution of one year.
- Valid driver’s license in the State of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Post Hire Requirements:
Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements and pass an annual background check, both of which must be approved by the TDCJ
Management & Training Corporation (MTC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disabled status, veteran status, genetic information, national origin, or any other category protected by federal law. MTC participates in E-Verify. We strive to provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, including disabled veterans, in our job application and hiring process. If you are interested in employment opportunities with Management & Training Corporation and need assistance, please contact our staffing department through [email protected] or 801-693-2888.