Location: Panama City, FL
Job ID: 52755
Facility: Bay - MTC Medical
Ready for a meaningful career in criminal justice? MTC Facilities provide a safe and secure working environment for our staff while helping offenders gain valuable skills and treatment necessary for success upon release.
Position Title: Health Unit Worker Medical Assistant
Facility Name: BAY CORRECTIONAL FACILITY
Location: 5400 Bay Line Dr., Panama City, FL., 32404
Status: Full Time, 8hrs.
Our team members enjoy competitive wages, affordable health, dental, and prescription drug insurance, education and tuition assistance, paid time off, 9 paid holidays, flexible schedules, 401(k) with company match, and a chance to make a difference every day!
Reports to the health services administrator. Will receive instruction and direction from licensed provider staff. Performs technical duties in the field of patient care and participates in the general healthcare of patients by providing assistance for activities permitted in the state of Florida. Assists licensed staff in maintaining a safe, therapeutic environment in compliance with American Correctional Association (ACA) standards, MTC Medical, Florida Department of Corrections (FDOC) and Florida Department of Management Services (DMS) directives.
1. Assist in coordinating movement of inmate/patients to and from different areas for medical treatment.
2. Take and record vital signs and medical history of assigned patients.
3. Prepare patients for examinations and assist nurse or provider during examination.
4. Work efficiently to ensure providers have seamless flow of patients, and supplies, charts and
equipment are readily available.
5. Perform basic laboratory tests after verification of competency.
6. Explain treatment procedures to patients; provide education on condition, treatment or treatment plan.
7. Properly chart medical care consistent with scope of practice and ensure completeness and accuracy of entries.
8. Administer oral medications, intramuscular and subcutaneous injections under the directive of a licensed provider. Assist with medication and/or sharps counts when necessary.
9. Provide assistance to Infirmary patients as instructed, and accurately enter treatment provided in medical record.
10. Perform complex and technical procedures under nursing supervision, such as: unsterile dressing changes, superficial wound care, performing urine and finger stick glucose tests.
11. Set up and operate therapeutic equipment; instruct and supervise patients in various therapies.
12. Conduct peripheral venipuncture (phlebotomy) to collect blood samples, if necessary.
13. Assist in the maintenance of a safe, comfortable facility environment; obtain and store medical supplies; clean and sterilize instruments and equipment.
14. Ensure supply security, replace facility working stock, maintain the upkeep of facility supply room and medical equipment, and maintain inventory PAR levels.
15. Practice basic cost containment and utilization management techniques.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
High school graduate or GED and one-year related experience required. Current Medical Assistant Certification or completion of an accredited medical assistant program from a program accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies, a national or state medical association or any entity approved by the board preferred. CPR certification required. A valid driver’s license in the State of Florida with an acceptable driving record is required.
Post Hire Requirements:
Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements.
Management & Training Corporation (MTC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disabled status, veteran status, genetic information, national origin, or any other category protected by federal law. MTC participates in E-Verify. We strive to provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, including disabled veterans, in our job application and hiring process. If you are interested in employment opportunities with Management & Training Corporation and need assistance, please contact our staffing department through [email protected] or 801-693-2888.