Substance Abuse Counselor II
Location: Huntsville, TX
Job ID: 52833
Facility: Estelle Unit
Pay and Schedule: starting at $22 per hour. Full-time, 8-hour days, Monday-Friday, onsite.
Work with a purpose! Join a team with values that match your own and make a difference in the lives of people needing second chances.
MTC is now hiring for treatment professionals at the Estelle Unit in Huntsville, Texas. Substance Abuse Counselor II's plan, coordinate, and implement substance abuse counseling activities and coordinate with other departments to ensure the maximum utilization of resources available for chemical dependency treatment and rehabilitation in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) directives.
Position Title and Facility: Substance Abuse Counselor II for W. J. “Jim” Estelle Unit in Huntsville, TX
Benefit package includes:
- Health/dental/vision/life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays (9 total)
- Professional development assistance
- Opportunity for job advancement
- Essential Functions:
1. Assists in planning chemical dependency counseling programs; and coordinates the delivery of counseling services to offenders with histories of chemical use, abuse, or addiction.
2. Maintain a Therapeutic Community (TC) within the facility working closely with correctional staff to create a living environment that is peer driven.
3. Provides a comprehensive evaluation from a battery of valid measurement tools to assess the recovery needs and the re-offense risk of offenders.
4. Participates in the Individual Treatment Plan based on the severity and characteristics of the offender as determined by the comprehensive assessment, review of collateral information, and the Clinical interview.
5. Provides counseling and recovery skills training; participates in offender orientation, educational and individual and process counseling groups in compliance with program standards, guidelines, policies, and procedures.
6. Maintains offender records and other records regarding services provided to include statistical feedback on evaluations; and compiles data and submits reports and related documentation as appropriate.
7. At the conclusion of the program, an Individual Progress Summary will be developed for each offender on caseload to reflect the evaluation results together with comments about the offender's level of participation and quality of completion in SAFPF programs.
8. Submit copy of the Individual Progress Summary to the Parole Division to be included in the Parole Case Summary.
9. Supervises the work of others; and assists in instructing others in program methods, procedures, and functions.
10. Coordinate or participate in transition meetings.
11. Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
12. Maintain accountability of staff, offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent or GED.
- Two (2) years full-time, wage-earning experience in substance abuse treatment or substance abuse education.
- Current license as a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC) by the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) or current valid certification as a Certified Criminal Justice Professional (CCJP) as approved by the Texas Certification Board of Professionals, or current qualifying credential to conduct counseling in a treatment environment. Must maintain valid license or certification for continued employment in position.
Management & Training Corporation (MTC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disabled status, veteran status, genetic information, national origin, or any other category protected by federal law. MTC participates in E-Verify. We strive to provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, including disabled veterans, in our job application and hiring process. If you are interested in employment opportunities with Management & Training Corporation and need assistance, please contact our staffing department through [email protected] or 801-693-2888.