Location: Meridian, MS
Job ID: 54082
Facility: East Mississippi Correctional Facility
Work with a purpose! Climb the criminal justice career ladder while changing lives on the inside.
Job title: Canine Handler Officer
Facility name: East Mississippi Correctional Facility
Location: 10641 HWY 80 West, Meridian, MS., 39037
Work schedule: Full-time
Benefit package includes:
Reports to the designated lieutenant. Responsible for the full canine care and management as well as custody and discipline of inmates in compliance with American Correctional Association (ACA) standards, Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Mississippi Department of Corrections (MDOC) directives.
1. Must have the ability to maintain the canine at home when not at work. Will be reimbursed for all expenses relating to the care of the canine.
2. Responsible for ensuring drug detention dog receives sufficient training, trail testing, and appropriate medical care.
3. Maintain canine medical records and ensure records are up-to-date and available for immediate review. Ensure canine always wear appropriate identification tag.
4. Provide appropriate care and a safe shelter for the canine which includes feeding, water, and grooming.
5. Assists in conducting searches for narcotics while using the canines both inside and outside the facility and during visiting periods. Assists in the detention and processing of individuals introducing contraband into the institution.
6. Ensures officers and others assisting do not contaminate the area or interfere with canine responsibilities when overseeing inspections and searches.
7. Always maintains control of the canine(s) and provides safe vehicles for transportation utilized both on and off duty.
8. Prepares comprehensive reports regarding status of the canines and searches. Prepares rule violation reports as appropriate.
9. Testify in hearings and court cases concerning drug interdiction activities and searches.
10. Protect, instruct, train, and counsel assigned employees as directed.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
High School Diploma or equivalent required. Experience with canine training or handling preferred. A valid driver’s license in the state of Mississippi with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Post Hire Requirements:
Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements. Must be able to obtain required certification for canine handler within the required timeframe.
Management & Training Corporation (MTC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disabled status, veteran status, genetic information, national origin, or any other category protected by federal law. MTC participates in E-Verify. We strive to provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, including disabled veterans, in our job application and hiring process. If you are interested in employment opportunities with Management & Training Corporation and need assistance, please contact our staffing department through [email protected] or 801-693-2888.