Starting pay is $18.00 an hour.
Develop your law enforcement or criminal justice expertise in corrections.
Position Title: Correctional Officer
Facility Name: Kyle Correctional Facility or Gregory S. Coleman Unit
Location: 23001 IH-35 Kyle, TX 78640 or 1400 MLK Industrial Blvd Lockhart, TX 78644
Work schedule: Full-time; 12-hour shift (both day & night shift available)
Benefit package includes:
- Health/dental/vision/life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid time off
- 9 paid holidays
- Plenty of overtime
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: A Correctional Officer reports to the shift supervisor and is responsible for the custody and discipline of offenders in the facility in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) directives. If assigned to the transportation department, responsible for the transporting of offenders to and from the facility in accordance with established procedures.
- Search for contraband and provide security.
- Count, feed and supervise offenders in housing, work and other areas, which includes climbing stairs.
- Provide custody and security of offenders including observation of offenders, which includes long periods of sitting and standing.
- Perform security functions including “pat” and “strip” searches, by squatting and bending to perform such functions.
- Transfer and transport offenders by walking or riding in vehicles. Restrain and secure assaultive offenders as needed.
- Responds to emergencies including climbing stairs, steps, and ladders while searching for escaped offenders, hearing calls for and calling for help, giving first aid at the emergency site, carrying an injured or unconscious offender or employee various distances to safety up or down stairs, steps, and ladders; and use force and deadly force to include the use of chemical agents and firearms to control offenders.
- Read, review and properly apply information found in offender records, which is related to the offenders’ health and safety and to the security of the facility. Provide appropriate information to other personnel.
- Prepare and maintain records, forms and reports.
- Perform specific duties if assigned to the following areas: commissary, property, transportation, recreation, escort/roving, mailroom, laundry, visiting room, mobile patrol, central control, housing, restrictive housing and intake.
- If assigned to the food services area: assist in instructing offenders assigned to food service in the safe, hygienic method of preparing and serving appetizing, eye-appealing meals.
- It is expected the incumbent will work overtime when directed to do so.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed; provide regular feedback to staff regarding social skills procedures and intervention techniques.
- Maintain accountability of staff, offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- PAID TRAINING PROVIDED
- Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent or GED.
- A valid driver license in the state of Texas with an acceptable driving record is required.
- Be able to pass a background check and drug screen.
Continued employment is contingent upon passing exams and skill tests in the TDCJ Correctional Officer Pre-service Training Academy.
Why: Make a real difference every day by helping to change lives.
Management & Training Corporation (MTC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disabled status, veteran status, genetic information, national origin, or any other category protected by federal law. MTC participates in E-Verify. We strive to provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, including disabled veterans, in our job application and hiring process. If you are interested in employment opportunities with Management & Training Corporation and need assistance, please contact our staffing department through [email protected] or 801-693-2888.