SEAMANSHIP INSTRUCTOR (ENGINEER)
Location: Astoria, OR
Facility: Tongue Point Job Corps Center
Brief Job Description:
The nationally-recognized and U.S. Coast Guard-certified Maritime Training Program at Tongue Point Job Corps Center seeks a qualified and professional mariner to provide all phases of Qualified Member of the Engine Department (QMED)-Junior engineer instruction, supervision of students, completion of projects, and perform the duties of a licensed Officer on our training vessels. Incumbent will be required to gain and comply with U.S. Coast Guard instructor and Merchant Mariner Officer credentialing requirements to instruct students and operate program vessels. In addition, this position will require an emphasis on coaching/mentoring young people to hone their soft skills to be squared away Merchant Mariners. Starting salary is negotiable depending on experience and includes a comprehensive benefits program
Candidates should have the following:
• Has or able to obtain a Merchant Mariner Credential of at least Qualified Member of the Engine Department (QMED)- Junior Engineer.
• Has or able to obtain a Transportation Identification Workers Credential (TWIC).
• Maritime Industry experience desired.
• Ability to lead, supervise, teach, and train young people towards success.
• Engineer of Steam and/or Tankerman preferred, but not required.
• Proficiency in using computer based programs.
• Competitive salary, full medical benefits & employer provided retirement benefits.
• Ability to ready young people for the critical Maritime Industry.
• Opportunity to use Maritime experience and cultivate the next generation of prudent US Coast Guard approved Merchant Mariners.
Please apply on the Management and Training Corporation Careers
About Tongue Point Job Corps Center:
Tongue Point Job Corps Center is operated by Management & Training Corporation for the U.S. Dept. of Labor. Located on the Columbia River in Astoria, Oregon, the Center is one of the five largest employers in Clatsop County. We teach 473 youth, ages 16-24, the academic, vocational, employability, and social skills they need to become prepared for successful careers. Tongue Point JCC offers training in 10 vocations. Seamanship is the largest vocation with 130 students. Students are able to earn their OS, AB (limited) & QMED-Junior Engineer endorsements, plus additional certifications such as VPDSD, STCW-BT, HAZWOPER, survival craft, and Servsafe/food handler while enrolled. We are committed to the principles of equal opportunity, we value diversity, and we seek staff who are committed to developing youth assets. We have a drug-free workplace and tobacco-free campus. For more information about the Job Corps program, visit http://www.jobcorps.gov.
Management & Training Corporation (MTC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disabled status, veteran status, genetic information, national origin, or any other category protected by federal law. MTC participates in E-Verify. We strive to provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, including disabled veterans, in our job application and hiring process. If you are interested in employment opportunities with Management & Training Corporation and need assistance, please contact our staffing department through [email protected] or 801-693-2888.